Mrs. Rachel Curtis
480-345-2306 ext 220
By Appointment Only
Art History (11th grade)
Philosophy (11th grade)
Sparx Assistant Coach
Fall Play Assistant Director
Spring Musical Assistant Director
Class Information and Assignments
Philosophy (11th Grade)
Click For Syllabus
Prompt #1 (Read pg. 1-2)
- What is Ethics?
- What are the two questions that classical philosophers answer?
-Respond to the Lifeboat OR Sophie's Choice scenario (Bonus if you answer both)
Prompt #2 (Read pg. 3-6)
- Why does Plato believe evil exists? What is his solution?
- What is absolutism? Why is Plato an absolutest?
- What are two criticisms of Plato's philosophy?
Prompt #3 (Read pg. 7-11)
- What is the good life according to Aristotle? Why has he come to this conclusion?
What is the golden mean? How does Aristotle use it in his philosophy?
What are two criticisms of Aristotle?
- Respond to the Comic I gave in class- do you agree or disagree with Aristotle's view of happiness? Use your own examples or the comic.
Prompt #5 (Read pg. 11-15)
- How does the idea of pleasure being the sole good differ form how Epicurus lived?
- What is the difference between passive and dynamic pleasures?
- What is the difference between Ethical and Psychological Hedonism?
Prompt #6 (Read pg. 15-22)
- Explain the main points of Cynicism.
- Explain the main points of Stoicism.
- What is the difference between Cynicism & Stoicism.
- Give two criticisms of Cynicism.
- Give two criticisms of Stoicism.
I was a part of the first group of students to ever attend James Madison Prep in its inaugural year, and graduated in 2003 as Valedictorian of my class. I then went on to do my studies at Trinity Western University, which is located in British Columbia, Canada. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Theology in 2008, and began teaching at JMPS that fall. This is my tenth year teaching at the school, and I have appreciated every opportunity that I have been given over the last nine years here. I have a passion for Languages, History, English, Philosophy, Theology, Art, Theater, and Dance.