Mrs. Rachel Curtis
480-345-2306 ext 220
By Appointment Only
Art History (11th grade)
Philosophy (11th grade)
Sparx Assistant Coach
Fall Play Assistant Director
Spring Musical Assistant Director
Class Information and Assignments
Philosophy (11th Grade)
Click For Syllabus
Prompt #1 (Read pg. 1-2)
- What is Ethics?
- What are the two questions that classical philosophers answer?
-Respond to the Lifeboat OR Sophie's Choice scenario (Bonus if you answer both)
Prompt #2 (Read pg. 3-6)
- Why does Plato believe evil exists? What is his solution?
- What is absolutism? Why is Plato an absolutest?
- What are two criticisms of Plato's philosophy?
Prompt #3 (Read pg. 7-11)
- What is the good life according to Aristotle? Why has he come to this conclusion?
What is the golden mean? How does Aristotle use it in his philosophy?
What are two criticisms of Aristotle?
- Respond to the Comic I gave in class- do you agree or disagree with Aristotle's view of happiness? Use your own examples or the comic.
Prompt #5 (Read pg. 11-15)
- How does the idea of pleasure being the sole good differ form how Epicurus lived?
- What is the difference between passive and dynamic pleasures?
- What is the difference between Ethical and Psychological Hedonism?
Prompt #6 (Read pg. 15-22)
- Explain the main points of Cynicism.
- Explain the main points of Stoicism.
- What is the difference between Cynicism & Stoicism.
- Give two criticisms of Cynicism.
- Give two criticisms of Stoicism.
Prompt #7 (Read pg. 22-26)
-What is the difference between Pastoral, Church, and Protestant Ethics?
-What is causistry? What is its role in Christian Ethics?
-What are two criticisms of Christian Ethics?
Prompt #8 (Read pg. 26-32)
- What happens to Spinoza that has a defining effect on his life and philosophy?
-Give a summary of the excerpt from Spinoza's writings.
-How is Spinoza's theory similar to Stoicism?
- What is one criticism of Spinoza?
Prompt #9 (Read pg. 32-35)
- What is the goal of Utilitarianism? How do they achieve this?
- What is the Hedonic Calculus?
- What are two criticisms of Utilitarianism?
Prompt #10 (Read pg. 35-42)
-What makes an action moral according to Kant?
- What does Kant mean by inclination vs sense of duty?
- What is the Categorical Imperative? How does Kant use it in his philosophy?
- What are two criticisms of Kant?
Prompt #11 (Read pg. 42-48)
- What is the purpose of Modern Ethics?
- Tell me the difference between Naturalism, Non-naturalism and Emotivism.
- Tell me the difference between Motivist, Consequence and Deontological.
Prompt #12 (Read pg. 181-187)
- Why does the branch of Epistemology exist?
- What are Descartes' tests?
- What is the end result of Descartes' questions?
I was a part of the first group of students to ever attend James Madison Prep in its inaugural year, and graduated in 2003 as Valedictorian of my class. I then went on to do my studies at Trinity Western University, which is located in British Columbia, Canada. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Theology in 2008, and began teaching at JMPS that fall. This is my tenth year teaching at the school, and I have appreciated every opportunity that I have been given over the last nine years here. I have a passion for Languages, History, English, Philosophy, Theology, Art, Theater, and Dance.